- partly submerged at high water: partially
covered and partially dry at high water.
- always dry: not covered at high water under
average meteorological conditions.
- always under water/submerged: remains covered
by water at all times under average meteorological conditions.
- covers and uncovers: expression intended to
indicate an area of a reef or other projection from the bottom of a body of water which
periodically extends above and is submerged below the surface. Also referred to as dries
or uncovers. (IHO Dictionary, S-32, 5th Edition, 1111)
- awash: flush with, or washed by the waves at
low water under average meteorological conditions. (adapted from IHO Dictionary, S-32, 5th
- subject to inundation or flooding: an area
periodically covered by flood water, excluding tidal waters. (Digital Geographic
Information Standard - DIGEST 1.2)
- floating: Resting or moving on the surface of
a liquid without sinking (Concise oxford Dictionary)