- reconnaissance/sketch survey: a survey made to
a lower degree of accuracy and detail than the chosen scale would normally indicate. (IHO
Dictionary, S-32, 5th Edition, 5219)
- controlled survey: a thorough survey usually
conducted with reference to guidelines.
- examination survey: a survey principally aimed
at the investigation of underwater obstructions and dangers.
- passage survey: a survey where soundings are
acquired by vessels on passage.
- remotely sensed: a survey where features have
been positioned and delimited using remote sensing techniques.