- quarry: an excavation in solid rock from which
building stone, limestone, etc. is removed.
- mine: an excavation in the earth for the
purpose of extracting earth materials.
- stockpile: a reserve stock of material,
equipment or other supplies.
- power station area: a stationary plant
containing apparatus for large-scale conversion of some form of energy (hydraulic, steam,
chemical, nuclear, etc.) into electrical energy.
- refinery area: a system of process units used
to convert crude petroleum into fuels, lubricants and other petroleum-derived products.
- timber yard: a storage area for wood used for
building, carpentry or joinery.
- factory area: a group of buildings where goods
- tank farm: an area in which a number of
large-capacity storage tanks are located, generally used for crude oil or petroleum
- wind farm: an area in which numerous wind
motors are located.
- slag heap/spoil heap: hill of refuse from a mine, industrial plant; etc. on land (adapted from Concise Oxford Dictionary)