A terminal provides facilities for handling particular forms of cargo (IHO Dictionary,
S-32, 5th Edition , 5343).
- RoRo-terminal: a terminal for roll-on roll-off
- ferry terminal: a terminal for passenger and
- fishing harbour: a harbour with facilities for
- yacht harbour/marina: a harbour with facilities
for small boats and yachts (IHO Dictionary, S-32, 5th Edition, 3095).
- naval base: a centre of operations for naval
vessels (adapted from The Collins Dictionary).
- tanker terminal: a terminal for the bulk
handling of liquid cargoes.
- passenger terminal: a terminal for the loading
and unloading of passengers.
- shipyard: a place where ships are built or
repaired (IHO Dictionary, S-32, 5th Edition, 4686).
- container terminal: a terminal for container
- bulk terminal: a terminal for the handling of
bulk materials such as iron ore, coal, etc.
- syncrolift: A platform powered by synchronous electric motors used to lift vessels (larger than boats) in and out of the water.
- straddler carrier: a wheeled vehicle designed to lift and carry containers or vessels whitin its own framework. Its used for moving, and sometimes stacking, shipping containers and vessels.