- urban area: an area predominantly occupied by
man-made structures used for residential, commercial, and industrial purposes. (Nautical
Chart Manual, US Department of Commerce, 1992)
- settlement: a small collection of dwellings in
a remote area.
- village: a collection of houses in a rural
district, usually smaller than a town.
- town: any considerable collection of dwellings
and other buildings larger than a village, but not incorporated as a city.
- city: a major town inhabited by a large
permanent community with all essential services.
- holiday village: a collection of smaller houses
(cottages, mobile homes etc.) which is mainly populated on a seasonal basis.